AfterLife SWGEmu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AfterLife SWGEmu

An Old Guild of Pre-CU

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zackattack
Admin/God
Admin/God
Zackattack

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-19

R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*   R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:22 pm

"Freeman had previously worked at Spacetime Studios as well as on Ultima Online, but is best known for his stint on Star Wars Galaxies, where he was unfortunate enough to become the public face of the "New Game Enhancements" update, one of the most infamous debacles in MMOG history. In a story from June 2007, Allen Varney detailed how Freeman became the target of gamer rage over the NGE, even though his role in its development was minor.

Despite the fact that he continued to suffer online abuse at the hands of Star Wars Galaxies players unhappy with the NGE changes even after leaving Sony Online Entertainment in late 2006, Freeman's brother clarified that his suicide had nothing to do with the game. "I want everyone to know that it was not SWG that led him to take his life," he said. "He has been troubled for some time. There were a lot of personal issues that tore at him. A memorial service will be held for Freeman in his hometown of Austin, Texas, on October 2. He was 39."

Link to The Incident

R.I.P. Jeff, you will be missed and loved.

Good man... Sad

Last edited by Zackattack on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.xfire.com/profile/atorak
Zackattack
Admin/God
Admin/God
Zackattack

Male

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*   R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:50 pm

R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Qfdm265kkf6mwuoev8nbi0

Jeff Freeman's Memorial Fountain in Test Center.

Ramsey -

"In observance of the death of Jeff Freeman, we have erected a memorial in the memory of him in the center of Theed.

The NGE which, as we all know, was a change motivated by corporate greed - not the creativity of the employees. Jeff Freeman (age 39) worked at SOE as a designer of SWG until late 2006 and received much of the public blame for the NGE blunder. About two weeks ago, he committed suicide for "troubling personal issues" according to his brother. We have the utmost respect for a character like Freeman who under the stressful clash between; his beliefs, the requests of his employer, and the scrutiny of the community, made choices that brought us PreCU. The pressure he had to endure probably required him to distort the vision of PreCU we all came to know and love, which, as one could guess, made Mr. Freeman's latter years at SOE an unfortunate heartbreaking experience.

We have the ability to infinitely love one another, something most of us do not exercise enough. His death will always be a reminder to seek the beauty of others who cannot see it in themselves. May he rest in peace."

You will be remembered...

Last edited by Zackattack on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doom
Admin/God
Admin/God
Doom

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*   R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 pm

R.I.P. Jeff Freeman. You will be remembered and my heart, prayers & thoughts go out to the family. I cant believe it was all these 39 years you had lived a good life with your family, friends, and relatives that John Smedley & Julio Torres token away from you and to something else that everybody loved considering SWG "Pre-CU" & "CU" and to what was hurting on that day everybody disliked and disgust, November 15th, 2005, the day when NGE "Nasty Game Enhancments" released which nobody wanted or ever. I can understand why you left SOE in late 2006 which was a good move to do because SOE and the Developers are traitors, still traitors, always be traitors and put that on God & Jesus capital name and bolded on both of em' like what i said to ever who ever fucks with Anti-SOE players including me and many others and maybe one day i would hope the drama would stop with Fan Faires and all of Smedley's announcements. But i can also understand it was not the game just took your life away, but the things you have done outside in the real world.

*Salute* Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.afterlifetheresdeath.com
Zackattack
Admin/God
Admin/God
Zackattack

Male

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*   R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Moved this thread because its SWG related.
Back to top Go down
259fol
Admin/God
Admin/God
259fol

Male
Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*   R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 pm

This is sad, our old SWG Lead Designer died. I feel bad for this poor man.

R.I.P. Jeff Freeman. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*   R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide* Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Jeff Freeman, The Former Lead Designer in SWG *Committed Suicide*
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AfterLife SWGEmu :: Emulators :: SWGEmu-
Jump to: